Tuesday 3 May 2011

April

April has been something of a slow month, reading-wise. Only three books - one of which has been carried over from March, and one of which is a re-read. I think it's just been a case of life getting in the way, yet again.
I do have plans, however, for something else I'm going to post up to make up for the shortfall here.

I started with Ordeal By Innocence, another Agatha Christie (see March) which doesn't really warrant much more discussion, as my obsession with Christie has already been covered.

Most of my month has been taken up with reading Scarlett Thomas' The End of Mr Y.
It's a good book. Interesting, densely packed, detailed and intelligent: much as I've come to expect from Thomas.
However.
The book was spoiled, much like PopCo was, by Thomas' pet interest: Homeopathy. For such an otherwise intelligent author, I just feel this really lets her down. For me, it utterly breaks my suspension of disbelief. I can cope with the idea of trying to weigh the soul, other worlds created out of thought, mind-hopping, the God of Mice, and conspiracies involving the CIA, but an acceptance of Homeopathic principles is just a step too far for me. It's frustrating in the extreme. I like Thomas' writing, and I've still got another of her books on my shelves to read, but if that one has bloody homeopathy in it too, then I'm sorry, it's likely to be the last book of hers that I read.

I rounded off the month with an old favourite: Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.
It's one of my favourite books by one of my favourite authors, about family and Gods and the power of stories. Well worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment